What will UX designers do? Why apply to be a UX designer?
UX designers work on developing prototypes and mockups of the product's new features 2 weeks before, often in Figma. UX designers have a unique chance to develop project experience (looks great for recruiting), effect real-world change, and learn the best practices. Especially in the context of Harvard's more theoretical and SWE-focused CS department, joining Tech for Social Good as a UX designer involves applying that knowledge into action and gaining unique experience in the extracurricular level. Additionally, because Tech for Social Good is a new HCS initiative, UX designers would be influential in shaping the direction of the initiative and its long-term vision.
What are the types of projects I'll work on as a SWE?
There are two project types that we'll have for the fall:
- Nonprofit sourced: we're currently in the client sourcing phase, developing high-level project ideas for potential partnerships with a number of nonprofits working in international development, child abuse, and disability research. Two of our mulitple projects in the works are:
- Student driven for Harvard: we want to empower Harvard students to build products with their own vision. Specifically, we will be developing a central Harvard community platform, where students can learn about and access resources from across Harvard's many channels.
What are the responsibilites and expected commitments of SWEs?
- Develop prototypes of product 2 weeks ahead of software engineers in Figma.
- Incorporate and seek feedback from users
- Collaborate with project team to develop high-level vision.
- Dive deep into user and human-centered design.
- Attend weekly meetings with project team and PMs to check in on progress and discuss next steps.
- Attend (roughly) bi-weekly community building events with project teams (bi-weekly here means once every two weeks btw).
- Dedicate at least 5-7 hours/week.
What's the timeline of the interview process?
||Resume drop + short questions
||9/12/2020 11:59PM ET
||Behavioral + technical interviews
||9/13/2020 - 9/20/2020
Should I apply?
We encourage anybody interested in UX design and social impact to apply! You'll gain valuable UX design skills as well as join a community of other students who are passionate about leveraging tech to do good. Also, it's definitely okay if you don't have experience—we want to empower you to become an incredible designer!